14 November, 2007

Permit? Who needs a permit?


Beautiful Path
Originally uploaded by WaltBeall

Well, apparantly we do! Ugh, it's been since last Wednesday that there has been ANYTHING happening at "the Land!"

Hubby finally called the builder on Monday and said, "what's up." Well, the city is dragging their feet on getting the permit assigned. Ok, so I would expect this in New York, Chicago, even Dallas. But not PoDunk USA!! How long does it take people?!

So, nada until that permit is assigned. Ugh and double ugh!

Ok, I'll quit grumbling. I'll focus on what has been done, how's that? We got the culverts in last Wednesday so we have a temporary driveway thing happening. We can at least pull off the road now when we go to visit what we've taken to calling our "home dirt." We drive by each afternoon after school and D goes, "Hey Home Dirt!" It's cute. So, we've got a nice tall pad. It's probably about 20 inches high at the highest part, so hopefully I'll get at least one, maybe two steps up to the front porch afterall!

We finalized our choice of brick, mortar, roof, stone for the fireplace and the windows. We got that turned in to the builder yesterday with pictures so he'll know exactly what we're talking about. We don't want any surprises!

So, now once the permit comes, they'll frame out the form (the wood that outlines the shape of the house), dig the trenches for the plumbing and get ready for pouring the cement foundation.

Someone asked if we will have a basement. No, sadly, in our area of the country you can't dig that deep without quickly hitting water. The water table is not far beneath the ground so no basements here.

Not much adoption news to share. We received an e-mail from our agency stating that they have confirmation that 12 agencies will receive their accreditation certificates soon. But our's is not one of them. They should be in the next batch. But it does cause me to feel a wee bit more urgency since who knows how quick (glass half full) we'll get it! So, we're going to hammer out the last two documents tomorrow and I'll print up yet two more picture books to send to Smolensk.

I looked at the databank website last night for the first time in a long while. I didn't even look at the old region - that was weird. I only looked at Smolensk. There was a new little girl on there who hasn't been on there previously. I would have remembered her. Hmmm, her name is Keera. She has reddish hair and the most beautiful blue eyes. She's 15 months old. I know, I'm not supposed to do that!! But what if?? Don't worry, I've been through so much that I'm not placing any bets. But wouldn't that be cool? We'll see!!

4 comments:

Deb said...

It's so hard not to look at the site full of children that you would gladly bring home. I didn't see Keera but Anastaia K is adorable. And in June 2007 looks like twins!!!! Wouldn't that be cool.

Hope the permit gets resolved quickly.

Becky and Keith said...

Nothing like a silly permit getting in the way! Just draft a sample permit for them. Maybe they can use that? :-) I love looking at the database - it is so much fun to dream... and kind of scary at the same time!

kate said...

i think it would be VERY cool! i've got a little "child of the heart" myself. she's still there...

Kay B said...

I hadn't really looked at the databank since we've been home. I looked now and Darya is still in the National Database, but in the Primorsky Databank (Vladivostok) her picture is replaced with an announcemnt that the "Child has a famlily" I save the page for my records!