12 October, 2007

The day the judge said "Da"


We have been talking this week about today being our family day - the day the judge said "Da."

D has known her adoption story since the day she came home, but I think she is really starting to understand. I think losing Viktoria has helped her understand the process a little more and that she is thankful to have her family more because of it.

She asked last night, as we were snuggling before bedtime, if she could wear her Russia Dress to school today since it is the day the judge said "Da" and we celebrate this day. I was afraid it would get messed up, but said I would ask Daddy. He said, "Well, if it gets messed up, it gets messed up. If she wants to wear it I think we should say yes." Of course he is right. The dress can be replaced, but her "owning" her story is priceless and a wonderful step as she grows.

So, here's our beautiful girl - six years later!


Spasiba, judge Alexander Petrovich Kachanov.

Spasiba Bolshoi!

10 comments:

Rachael said...

What a great day to celebrate! She looks adorable in her little dress.

(We have a very similar version of the same dress for Katya, but hers is blue for St. Pete's colors. So far it's just hanging in the closet.)

yorkiemom said...

Congratulations, she's looks so beautiful in her dress.

Calico Sky said...

I am so very very very happy that your adoption story and journey is moving forward! I had 5 months of falling in love with a picture and I am sure that was nothing compared to you.
Thank you for leaving me your new blog address. I'm hoping you will have some very good news soon!
Kate

Calico Sky said...

p.s. thanks for the kind message as well :)

C.C. said...

What a beautiful princess! Happy Day!!!

Deb said...

That is so neat that she wanted to wear the dress to school. What did her friends and teacher think of it?
Happy Da Day!

Unknown said...

Her dress is beautiful and I'm glad that she is embracing her story and proud of her dress. It was a good decision to let her wear it.

Michael, Carrie, and S said...

D looks so pretty in her dress! congratulations on celebrating the anniversary of her special day!

Chelley said...

That is so neat that D wanted to do that...

And she looks so very pretty in her dress...

kate said...

I've been wondering about an alternative to "Gotcha" Day. Family Day is great...but doesn't really roll off the tongue. Maybe "Da Day"... It reminds me of a little three-year-old choir I led who would sing, "Dis is da day dat da Lord has made."